On Don, 25 Mär 1999, you wrote: / Am Don, 25 Mär 1999 schrieben Sie:
> I'm just started to learn linux by installing (after redhat 5.2) a
> mandrake 5.3 taken from a cd bundled with a magazine. It is well
> working, and literally I enjoy linux/mandrake.
> But I saw the cd installed "kde 1.1-0.1 alpha 1rh5x", which is rather
> old, I think.

Well, th 0.1 alpha stuff only relates to the version of the .rpm package,
*not* KDE itself. Mandrake's default version is KDE 1.1-0.3finalrh5x. If
you have no problems installing and running KDE, stick to your version.

> So,I downloaded  both "kde-installer-1.1-5rh5x.i386.rpm"
> and "kde-1.1-rh5x-i386-rpms-complete-set.tar" ( a BIG army of bytes to
> download!). Reading "notes on the kde-1.1 rpm packages for red hat
> linux", I saw the upgrading is not a trivial task, there are some others
> actions (as I understood) to do before and after doing the
> "install-kde-1.1", and I doubt I'm able to carry out all the operations
> risklessly...
> So, now I'm waiting in front to the keyboard ready to start the
> install/upgrade only if someone could  tell me: "yes Massimo, do it, it
> is only needed to run the "install-kde.1.1" script and you are on the
> fly".
> Can someone tell me that ?

Where do you downloaded the set from? Please note that Mandrake uses
adjusted versions of some KDE packages (at least 'base'). Installing the
Redhat version will actually threaten to *break* KDE in Mandrake.
So don't do that then.

 > --
>
> --------------------->    Massimo Corinaldesi

tom

--
"The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum." (Finagle's Law)
Thomas 'Tom' Berger, [EMAIL PROTECTED] No UCE. No spam. 'nuff said.