Linda & Mike wrote:

> Ok, here is one of them.  First of all, I downloaded them while I was in
> Windows98 and put them on a floppy disk.  The name of the file is:
> splitv20x_tar.gz.
>
> I know that I have to go to the root user account, but then what?  Mount the
> floppy drive, and from that point on I don't know what to do.  I have
> downloaded instructions that just say to: tar -xzvf filename and that will just
> open it up, and then you run: ./configure, then make and then make install.  I
> tried the first thing while in the command line on the terminal and nothing
> happened because first I have to get the file from the floppy and into the
> computer which I don't how to do that.  So, you see, I am totally stumped and I
> am not finding the information anywhere, so I will be very appreciative of your

Login as your normal user, and mount the floppy drive (mount /dev/fd0).
Copy the file to your home directory (cp /dev/fd0/splitv20x_tar.gz ~/.),
then unpack the archive (tar zxvf splitv20x_tar.gz).  Move into the new
directory (dunno what it's called), and do the ./configure and make.  If
the compile goes well, change to the root user (su) and do the make
install.  Log back out of the root account (exit), and try the newly
installed program as your normal user.

> help and make sure that I print out this information.  Since my printer is
> unusable in Linux, I have to do all my questions on Win98.  I have a HP Deskjet
> 722c, and have already found out that it is handled like a winmodem.  Bummer!!!

You might try finding updated Ghostscript packages.  I know they've done
alot of work supporting HP WinPrinters, so it's possible that you'll be
able to use it under Linux.  WinPrinters are a bit different than
WinModems, so they are supported for the most part.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]