Hi there,

I've read your message, and all I can say is ..."Dear Friend Drop this LINUX
Shit" and switch to FreeBSD....don't waste your time???

Khalid

Idris S Hamid wrote:

> Dear folks:
> I originally sent this message on Christmas Day so I guess nobody had
> the time to pay any attention to it. Another Mandrake user ("ndk
> {Ralph}" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) indicated that he was having similar
> problems to my own. I hope that someone can take a look at these
> questions now (I have added a fourth). Thanks in advance and Happy
> Holidays!
>
> ------------------------------
> Dear folks:
> I wish everyone the best of holidays.
>
> I am new at Linux/KDE. I just installed Mandrake 5.2 and everything
> works
> fine except
> for the following:
> 1) I can't even begin to configure PPP because pppd is not compiled in
> the kernel
> (I ran dmesg). I have no experience recompiling kernels (why on Earth
> isn't PPP
> compiled in the kernel anyway?!?), but tried to follow the directions in
>
> the
> official installation instructions for RedHat 5.0. All of the following
> commands
> fail:
>   make xconfig;
>   make config;
>   make menuconfig;
>   make mrproper.
> When I try to run these commands I get complaints about some target not
> being
> found;
>
> 2) How do I go about configuring sound? Do I have to compile that into
> the kernel
> too...? I have a soundblaster compatible card;
> I should mention the following:
> i) I have an ESS AudioDrive 1869 soundblaster 16 compatible card;
> ii) upon running sndconfig I get the message ``error accessing
> dev/audio''.
>
> 3) The CD player (generic 32x IDE device) worked fine during install,
> but during a
> Linux session I cannot
>  i) manually open and close the CD tray;
>  ii) mount the CD-ROM drive. Actually I sometimes can mount the CD-ROM
> drive; but I still cannot manually open and close the CD tray. But it
> works fine in that other operating system we have all grown to
> dislike...
>
> 4) I tried minicom and echo but cannot get any response from my modem
> under Linux. I correctly configured the modem using the RedHat
> ``control-panel'' dialog, but I still cannot get a response.
>
> I am sure the answers to these questions are stupidly simple, but I have
>
> been
> racking my brain all evening and cannot seem to get anywhere.
>
> Thanks in advance for all of your help
> Happy Holidays and best wishes
> Idris
begin:          vcard
fn:             Khalid Shahen
n:              Shahen;Khalid
org:            Interx Technologies, Middle East
adr:            Salwa Road;;;Doha;;;State of Qatar
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:          Webmaster
tel;work:       +974-682-209
tel;fax:        +974-680-128