At 20:30 28/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks for the response. I just got Fabio's message (my ISP's mail
>delivery service has been down) as I was sending this off and I will try
>his ideas as well.

Tell us when it works ...

>RXmi LETOT wrote:
>
>> >  make xconfig;
>> >  make config;
>> >  make menuconfig;
>> >  make mrproper.
>> >When I try to run these commands I get complaints about some target not
>> >being
>> >found;
>>
>> Can you tell us whitch targets? Always give the full error message.
>
>/usr/src/linux] make xconfig
>/usr/src/linux] make: No rule to make target `xconfig'. Stop.
>
>Similarly for commands `make config' and `make menuconfig'. What is
>wrong?

Well... Have you installed the sources to build the kernel ?
If so, you must have a directory called /usr/src/linux-2.0.xx in which
resides the whole source tree for the kernel.
The directory /usr/src/linux is just a soft link to that other directory.
If the sources are installed, your Makefile may be corrupted or non existent.
Check the source package with rpm or glint.

>> >2) How do I go about configuring sound? Do I have to compile that into
>> >the kernel
>> >too...? I have a soundblaster compatible card;
>> >I should mention the following:
>> >i) I have an ESS AudioDrive 1869 soundblaster 16 compatible card;
>> >ii) upon running sndconfig I get the message ``error accessing
>> >dev/audio''.
>>
>> I know that some SB16 compatible cards are not so compatible. Have you read
>> the docs comming with the source tree? Anyway the sound support must be
>> configured in the kernel or in a module. Do you have any message at bootup?
>
>I used sndconfig, which supposedly does away with having to compile
>sound
>directly into the kernel. But you may be right that the problem may be
>an
>incompatible sound card. Sigh..

Right, sound doesn't have to be directly built into the kernel, but you
have to compile it as a module to use it, even with sndconfig.

>> >3) The CD player (generic 32x IDE device) worked fine during install,
>> >but during a
>> >Linux session I cannot...

>I am logged in as root.
>More testing tells me that mounting is not the problem. The problem is
>removing
>the CD after the drive is umounted, even when the tray is empty. When I
>press
>the button, nothing happens under KDE.

Have you any CD player lying around ? That one can acces and control the cd
device even if it's not mounted... If you can, close that application, or
use it's "open cd" button.

- Rémi -