Gael Duval wrote:

> So I followed the (Red Hat) same instructions I followed to recompile
> mandrake : make mrproper - make xconfig - make dep - make clean - . On
> make boot the system suggested to me "make bzImage" so I did. Afterthat
> : make modules - renaming the lib/modules directory -
> make_modules_install - renaming the old kernel and copying the new one.
> After I modified lilo.conf  the hour arrived : boot.

Did you run /sbin/lilo after modifying /etc/lilo.conf?

> On booting : " LILO boot: - Loading linux - No setup signature found "
> and all stopped to run.

Forgetting to reinstall the boot record would certainly cause this
problem.

> With the floppy boot : " Warning: unable to open an initial console -
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel ". (To
> pass something to the init program is far away my capabilities...)
> Now, I'm into the panic : suggestions ?

Try passing "linux single" or "linux root=<root_partition>" (where
<root_partition> is something like /dev/hda1, /dev/hdb2, etc.) with the
boot floppy.  After you get Linux running again, the first thing you'll
want to do is run /sbin/lilo to reinstall the boot record.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]