From: Birchall, Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Has anyone tried installing the KDE 1.1.1 rpm files for Red Hat 5.2,
> with Mandrake 5.3?

Yes, I did this. Learned a lot! I'm green and growing...
1) the installer script doesn't work.
2) uninstall all the kde 1.0 packages first.
3) the kde-applications package just dumps all the application rpm's into
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 without installing them.
4) install order is important because of the dependencies.

Here's what I did.
- Downloaded the upgrade 1.1.1 rpms from kde ftp site: kde-applications,
kdebase, kdelibs, kdesupport, and kdesupport-qwspritefield. You don't need
the installer.
- Tried about six different times to remove the old kde, but failed,
probably because I don't understand the setup/configuration/directory
structure of Linux/RedHat/Mandrake/KDE yet... ended up reintalling and
deselected all kde rpms in the setup. I'm sure you can do better!
- Did "test" installs until I figured out the correct order (rpm -i --test).
Installed cleanly in this order:
kdesupport
kdelibs
kdebase
kdesupport-qwspritefield
kdeapplications . Remove the above four first, then 'rpm -i
kde-applications*', 'rm kde-applications*', and then 'rpm -i *.rpm'.
- Now I have a (somewhat) more stable desktop, but not the same setup as
Mandrake. Cleaner, not so cluttered, I'm exploring and adding those things I
like (and that work).

Hope this helps.
Lorne.