I have a feeling this problem is actually with your .xinitrc and .xsession
files in your home directory. The important part of those error messages is

xinit: No such process - whatever program you were trying to run can't
connect to the X server, not because it's refused a connection, but because
it's failed to start up properly. Both my .xinitrc and .xsession files
simply contain the following:

/opt/kde/bin/kde (at least I think they do; I'm not using linux at the
moment)

Good luck,

Owen