> Hi Alan,
> Thanks for the correction, (--:
> I did as you instructed, and it said there was one already configured.
> So what can I run to test the sound?
> I am totally ignorant of this OS, and now believe it may not be for me.
> I can't see whats so great is having to pull teeth to make something work
> that windows does automatically?
> Will

hahaha  if you have to ask a question like that then maybe Linux isn't
for you.  I mean, you asked and got the answer to your prob in an hour.
my soundblaster won't work in NT AT ALL (well, actually it will play
midi).  I've given up.

what do you do in windows if 'automatic' doesn't work?

I use Macs for 'automatic' stuff and everyday ease of use
and Linux for down & Dirty customization and serving.
(and Free beats paying any day!)

frankly I don't see what's so great about windows...

it's got all the bad parts of every os it stole from :)

-Aaron
--
"He may not have a clue and he may not have style, but everything he
lacks he makes up with denial."

-The Offspring