> for
> > > root, swap, usr, et al. , only to have the install of
> > > Mandrake crash because my root partition was only 40 MB.
> >
> > As of what version?  I just installed 5.3 on another
> machine last night, I
> > and was able to setup many partitions for /usr, /home,
> /usr/lib, etc.  I
> > just did the setup via Disk Druid and all was good.
>
> Here it is from the "Install" file on the Mandrake 5.3 CD:
>
> "your main Linux partition, which will need to be loaded on
> " / " ("Mount point : / "). This will be the root directory
> (" root directory "). The size of this partition will need
> to be at least 300 Mb. More experienced users may load the
> /usr and /home directories on supplementary partitions."

What's wrong with that?  You can still break it up so it isn't just in one
large partition, it's just saying that most users will just put linux into
one drive with a / mount point, and that should be 300 megs -- with the
addition that you can put /usr and /home on supplementary partitions.
/usr is the bulk of the size of the install....

> RedHat's documentation on the same CD recommends 50 to 100MB
> for /. You'll get "disk full" messages if you set up a small
> root.

While I do have mine broken up, my root partition isn't that small -- I
left it fairly large, but split the other up.   I did see while doing the
install a message that I'd need that kind of space minimum just for /.

The difference is that Mandrake is making it clearer for the average user,
who might not understand the need for more room for a seperate /usr if
you only give it 50-100 megs for /.   Or at least that's *my* take on the
situation. :)

Mike