> > Another reason why Mandrake is doomed... how can they keep on updating
it, if
> > they don't get any morey for it? Simple answer: they don't. I learned my
> > lesson  when KDE updated to 1.1.1 and installing it on my Mandrake
proved
> > impossible (worse: I lost my Xwindows)
> > If you want it cheap, download it and burn your own. Mandrake is not the
> > standard and necver will be. Pity. It was nice while it lasted. :-(
>
> Why does it need to be the standard?  And exactly what are we judging it
> against?  My Mandrake installation runs exactly the same software as a
> distribution that I might build myself.

Of course you can... it's just that Mandrake was billed as the friendliest
for newbies. Well the upgrade woes I had from KDE 1.1 to 1.1.1 opened my
eyes. Of course there should be distributions for the nerds to play with,
but if Linux is to grow BIG, we also need major distributions for the
newbies without the unpeasant surprised...

Rgds

Martin