Hi, guys.  I want to thank all of you who gave me so many great suggestions
for configuring the X window system for my laptop.  I'm getting much closer
to a resolution, I think.  I still think the problem might be with the
XSVGA server not being installed correctly, and when my cdrom is back, I'll
reinstall it.

However, my error messages have changed some since I took some suggestions
from you all.

I still choose the specific card, which is WD 90C24A2.
However, my monitor is not really listed, or else I'm not sure what to call
it.  I choose LCD Panel 640X480, because that's what type of screen my
laptop has.  There are monitors specific to Compaq listed, but I don't see
one specific to the LTE Elite.  (Yeah, I know it's old school.)
I skip the probing because they never work, and then I select 640X480 for
8, 16 and 24 bit.

When I run startx, get this:

execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 13)
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

What do you think?  Same problem?

Thanks again everyone.

Alex Henry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]