On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Fernando Perez wrote:

> I did check with chkfontpath --list and I *do* have
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttfonts loaded properly. Also, the fonts.dir file
> *is* there, so I'm kind of puzzled as to why I can't see any of the fonts.

Probably the installer didn't update xfs to the Mandrake version... RH's
TrueType support is broken beyond repair.

Try "rpm -U --force /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/xfs".
Also, you might want to try if "xset fp rehash" or "killall -HUP xfs" is
of any help.

> A related ttype fonts question: my system is a Win95/linux double boot in
> which I mount my C: drive under linux as /win95 (vfat fs). Since in
> C:/windows/../fonts there's a ton of .ttf files,

Sure - there are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Easiest:
  mv /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/ttfonts/* /win95/windows/../fonts
  rm -rf /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/ttfonts
  ln -s /win95/windows/../fonts /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/ttfonts
  mkttfdir /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/ttfonts

Alternative (cleaner):
  Add /win95/windows/../fonts to /etc/X11/fs/config along with the other
  font directories. Don't forget to mkttfdir.

> Or is there some subtle incompatibility in the way Microso~1 implements
> TType which prevents this?

The only possible problem is that FAT (and Windoze) sucks, and if Windoze
screws up your C: partition, Linux won't have all the fonts... ;)

> Suggestion: how about grouping the 80 into a few packages by topic?
> Something like base (xemacs itself) plus text-related (text, TeX,
> spelling,...), coding-related (C-modes, debugging,...), internet (mail,
> news, w3), etc?

Sounds like a good idea to me...

LLaP
bero