According to the xfstt FAQ, the method for adding fonts is as follows:

 Become superuser and copy ALL files for the new fonts into /usr/ttfonts.
Execute the command xfstt --sync,
 and check that the latest number of fonts detected has increased.

 However, from experimenting it seems that the best and cleanest solution
is to leave X Windows, become
 superuser and kill all occurences of the xfstt font server.  Execute the
command xfstt --sync, and then xfstt to
 restart the server.  Restart X Windows, and run xfontsel to check the new
fonts have been detected.