Yes but your going to learn more than you want about the internal workings
of XFree most likely. :)

You need to configure kdm to not start any servers (it has someproblems w/
auth when you do this, i think gdm does it a little better)

backup and edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers so it has this
#:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
Now when kdm starts it will not start an Xserver
Your startx alias will look like
alias startx16='startx -- -once -query 127.0.0.1 -bpp 16'
alias startx24='startx -- -once -query 127.0.0.1 -bpp 24'

Now you have to choose either start kdm from another startup script
or just setting id:5:initdefault the later is probably better. It gives it
respawn which is both good and bad, useing runlevel5.

While your in /etc/X11/xdm you might want to poke at Xaccess, and beef up
the security if you have time.