Martin White wrote:

> A work colleague of mine has just installed Mandrake 6 on his new Toshiba
> Satellite 4080 CDT. The install went fine (okay, we had to skip the X config
> as i know the video is only supported by a 'custom' X server i have located
> for him).
>
> After rebooting into run level 3, the keyboard is locked and you can do
> nothing but hit the power button  - networking wasn't setup during install
> as it uses a PCMCIA card that wasn't listed - so i thought we'd do it later.
> This means i can't telnet on and change runlevels.
>
> I'm at a bit of a loss. If i boot to runlevel 1 using 'linux single'
> everything is fine (after fixeing the filesystem problems caused by having
> to hit the power button). But i don't know how to strip out all unnesscary
> daemons from RL3 - if i run setup from RL1, i only get to set the daemons
> that i want loaded for RL1.
>
> Where do i start to get this up and running for him ?? - any ideas ?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin.

Sounds like this is a problem for the whole 40xx series.  I've got a
4000CDT with the same trouble.  There's a bit of info from someone who
had similar problems after upgrading kernels (or adding APMd, he's not
sure).  The info is the following URL:
'http://www.submm.caltech.edu/~shimpei/laptop/#keyboard'

Updating the pcmcia-cs doesn't seem to do any good, and I don't know
enough to do either of the other two suggestions.