I had a similar experience with Mandrake 6.0. The root partition or
whatever you call it just crashed all to pieces. I read that you must
use fsck on /root with a boot disk or rescue disk. I used the rescue
disk that I made when I installed Mankdrake 6.0. I followed
instructions on the screen and kept typing "yes" as it queried me. It
fixed everything. This is on a home-made computer with an AMD k6-2 400
cpu and a Diamond C200 motherboard.