Thank you very much, Richard! I will be preserving this message about
the goings-on in PS1. Ufortunately, the info didn't solve my problem.
PS1 in profile, as well as in bashrc is: PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ ".

If I log in as root, I get the full prompt displaying, but as user it's
still bash-2.03$. I've found the info displayed by the called-for prompt
to be helpful in navigation.

It looks like, as user, bash might be inheriting nothing at all.
Everything else in my system works fine, as far as I can tell.

-Paul-