pauljw wrote:

> Thank you very much, Richard! I will be preserving this message about
> the goings-on in PS1. Ufortunately, the info didn't solve my problem.
> PS1 in profile, as well as in bashrc is: PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ ".
>
> If I log in as root, I get the full prompt displaying, but as user it's
> still bash-2.03$. I've found the info displayed by the called-for prompt
> to be helpful in navigation.

There are two sets of files.  /etc/bashrc and /etc/profile
are the system-wide defaults.  However, if you have a
.bashrc or .bash_profile in YOUR home directory, whatever
you have there adds or supercedes what is in the /etc files.

For instance, you could put in your ~/.bashrc file the
PS1=whatever prompt you want, and it would replace the one
in /etc/bashrc.

Probably the reason you have a different personal prompt is
because there IS a .bashrc or .bash_profile file with an
undesirable prompt.  If not, go ahead and create one and put
the desired prompt in there.

You can view all sorts of personal settings with the "set"
command, ie,
prompt$ set
and it will show you all your settings, including the PS1 fellow
that is giving you so much grief.

--
Ramon Gandia ================= Sysadmin ================ Nook Net
http://www.nook.net                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]