Bill Moshier wrote:

> An earlier message said:
>
> Diamond is having a clearance on several SupraExpress Modems, both internal
> and external.  The external is under $50.
> http://www.diamondmm.com/products/current/clearance.cfm

I am sure the modem will work, but Diamond modems are made with
Rockwell chip sets.  This is not really a good choice; they
are the cheesiest of cheesy chip sets.  Alas, they are used
in 90% of all modems.  The US Robototics would be a better
solution.

Problems with the Rockwells include: dropped connections,
variable and inconsistent connect speeds, poor negotiation
of V90 protocols, poor throughput....among others.  This is
not to say you will have all these problems, but as an ISP
with hundreds of customers on line I can tell you that the
Rockwells are not the best choice.

As long as you are shelling out some bucks, I suggest you
opt for a USR-chipset modem, or even a Lucent-chipset modem,
and you will be a lot happier.

--
Ramon Gandia ================= Sysadmin ================ Nook Net
http://www.nook.net                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]