On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, you wrote:
> > Actually I have two pieces of equipment here.  The Cisco
> > AS5200 (with Rockwell chipset Mica modems), and a Lucent
> > Livingston PM3A with the Lucent chip digital modems.
> >
> Interesting. We use an Ascend device here to answer the
> phones (MAX TNT) and we consistently get WORSE connection
> speeds with USR modems than we do with ANY other brand
> (typically the BEST speed for a USR X2/V.90 is about 28.8.)
> [clip]
> >
> > I am glad you seem to have better luck than I do.  Some of this
> > is Telco equipment sensitive, but I thought I would pass my
> > ISP experiences along.  By the way...other Alaskan ISP's
> > report exactly my same results.
> >
> I don't know why, but the connect speeds are MUCH better
> for our customers with the Non-USR/3Com equipment. For this
> reason we recommend non-USR equipment. I know many of the
> "national" ISPs have used USR for their 56k server modems,
> but we didn't go that route. I suppose the best advice
> would be to find out what the ISP the gentleman would be
> connecting to recommends and go with that. :-)

Well here in the Albequerque, NM area most of the isp's do not use USR equipment
but then neither does the gentleman you have been talking with. Like him
though, many isp's in this area have found that usr modem's used by the
customers seem to connect to them more reliably. Not necessarily the fastest,
but the most reliably and consistantly. I know that here we have some rather bad
connection rates in general, alot of outdated equipment thrown together by US
West in what has to be the worst communications sysstem I have ever seen. So a
robust modem is needed here, one that is bullet proof more than a speed demon.
Perhaps in his area it might be the same, as it is in many parts of the country.
I do agree that the best source might be the person's isp, profided they have
bothered to keep any records of connection rates and modem brands and chip sets.
Around here, the Rockwell chips do not perform well, I have tried several for
my wife and myself with terribal results. Now she has a usr v90 and does much
better, and I plan on getting either a usr or a lucent chipset modem for myself.
This rockwell set modem I have, a Diamond Supra, really does'nt make it in this
area. So, I guess it all depends on where you are, and what the phone company
is using, as much as what your isp has.

John Love

[EMAIL PROTECTED]