> > An extended partition can contain multiple partitions (logical drives)
> > inside it. For a more detailed explanation see
> > http://www.harris-lp.k12.ia.us/hlp/~jws/~jws/comp/PCInfo/Boot/DEFAULT.HTM
> > (click on the "Partitions and Volumes" link first).  I was looking for a
> > better page, but couldn't find one.  Still, this one's not bad.
>
> I'll read it.
>
> > > The disk is formatted with the Ontrack Proprietary Format...
> >
> > Which means that if you ever want to access it without their special
> > driver, you'll have to reformat it- WITHOUT USING THEIR FORMAT.
>
> I have the option of doing a BIOS format.  The DDO will still work, but
> then I can access the drive without it and risk cylinder wrap.  I read
> that 1024 cylinders is around 528MB or so.  Hmm.  That's pretty
> limiting.

If your BIOS has the option of doing a format, DON'T DO IT!!!
Apparently, this was only meant for non IDE/SCSI drives, and can
actually make things worse. Even though you should never have to
low-level format an IDE drive, if you really have to, you must get
the utility from the drive manufacturer. Apparently,  all drives have
slightly different controllers, so there is no generic low-level
format program.

--
Lloyd Osten
[EMAIL PROTECTED]