On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Lloyd Osten wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, you wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Andy Goth wrote:
> >
> > > I've spent long sleepless nights before fixing the system.ini file after
> > > moving programs from C:\Program Files to D:\Prog.  Luckily, I had a
> > > utility to rename most references that went to my CD-ROM drive after it
> > > changed letters.  In Linux, such a thing isn't necessary since drives
> > > are referred to by their real names, not by arbitrary letters.
> >
> > I think that the problem is not the "arbitrary letters", but the fact that
> > these letter designations get "bumped" when new hardware is added.
> >
> > <rant>
> > There is a user interface analysis website (ask me for the link, if
> > interested) that strongly suggests Microsoft has used graphic designers to
> > create their interfaces so that they look pretty, even when this renders
> > them semi- or non-functional. Shouldn't be any surprise.
> >
> > If your CDROM could just stay as your D: drive, and your next hard drive
> > could become E:, the upgrade problems would be fewer. Of course then
> > installation software would have to query each storage device, "are you a
> > hard drive or CDROM?" I think this identification process is common sense
> > now, but when the drive scheme was set up, Microsoft's simplification of
> > the Windows installation procedure was probably more important to them
> > than any provision for upgrading. "What, have a CDROM in between
> > non-consecutive hard drive letters? That's not pretty enough for our
> > customers!"   </rant>
> >

> > best wishes,
> >
> > richard myers
>
> I think in win95/98 you can select which drive letter you want the
> cdrom to be. It will always be after your hard drive, though
>
> --
> Lloyd Osten
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yep, you can assign a drive letter to it on a permanent basis, in fact that way
you could still put a hard drive on afterwards and have the cd/rom before it.
At least in Win 95, not sure about Win 98. I think the place to do that is in
My Computer, I don't have Windoze on my machine anymore so I can't verrify
that right now, but I know I did do that once. I had it at E: for a long time,
even after putting on another drive behind it that was assigned F: as it's
drive letter.

John Love

[EMAIL PROTECTED]