On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, russ proudman wrote:
> I've got KDE set to automatically start whenever I boot up Linux-Mandrake.
> But I want to exit KDE (not just a shell within KDE) and can't get there.
>
> What's the trick to go back to good ol' Linux without auto KDE?
>
> Thx.

I assume you mean you want to exit KDE and be in console mode.
If that is the case, then you will want to boot up in runlevel 3 rather than in
runlevel 5. Runlevel 3 starts in console mode, you can start an Xwindow session
by typing starx at a prompt. Then when you exit the Xwindows session you will
be back at the console prompt. Runlevel 5 starts up and goes right into the
Xwindow login then when you exit, your back at the xwindow login again.
I personally use startx now.
To start in runlevel 3 you will need to change a line in your "/etc/inittab"
file, a few lines down from the top you should see a line like this:
id:5:initdefault:
change that line to this:
id:3:initdefault:
Just change the 5 to a 3 , in other words :)
You can also do this from linuxconf , but this is the easiest and fastest way.

John Love
[EMAIL PROTECTED]