Thanks to all who have replied.

It would seem to me that either a 486 is supported-or not-not some halfway
solution.  The HCL should be the definitive answer to this, and, according
to the HCL, it appears that it *is* supported, optimized or not, slow or
not.

I think it really sucks that it installs properly but updates can't be
automagically done [as it was designed].

Also, while Bert has apparently stated the min. requirements on several
previous occasions, please keep in mind that *I* have never heard his
message before.  I'm a newbie, remember?

Finally, I'd like to say that the "free Mandrake support folks" gave me
advice that was not accurate.  They told me, as some of the other
respondents have, to "do it manually".  It's not the update utility that's
broken, it's the lack of appropriate RPMs for my architecture.  Doing it
"manually" provides the exact same results as the "automagic utility"-no
results.  Their response was worthless, I could have saved myself $50 and
downloaded Mandrake for free...

-Sean Noonan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>