On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Pedro Timoteo wrote:

> I believe Mandrake itself runs on a 486, but the updates don't. Weird. :)

Why don't you listen to what we say?

- It is compiled with pgcc using -march=pentium. This allows pgcc to use
  pentium specific assembler instructions. It usually won't do it because
  we used the safe optimization flags (-O2 as opposed to -O6) because
  having a stable distribution is more important than having an ultimately
  fast one. But it doesn't say it NEVER does.

- The kernel is compiled with CONFIG_M586 and without
  CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION. It might actually boot on a 486 (unlikely
  though), but all sorts of weird stuff can AND WILL happen.

Wait for the 486 version, or it's your own fault.

LLaP
bero

--
Tired of waiting for Windows 2000?