On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> It's a Crystal Audio 3-D sound.   I don't know the number on the chip off
> the top of my head.  Will have to lift the hood.
> Brian

That's enough. I've heard of people having some REAL
headaches trying to get Crystal sound to work. IIRC, OSS
will have to be installed, as Linux doesn't support Crystal
sound with the default drivers.
Personally, I'd see if you can disable the on-board sound
and just get a good Sound Blaster card (awe series is
SUPPOSED to work fairly well... at least there's support
built-into linux for Creative Labs' SB series of cards!)
        John