David,
You need to recompile your kernel with sound and pppd supported, go into
/usr/src/linux-2.2.9, or whatever dir your kernel is in . Type make
xconfig, to use the Xwindows config for it, or make config for the
normal one. Go through the whole thing and be sure to select what you
need and ppp and sound support. When done click save and exit. Be sure
to type make clean and make dep after that. Type make bzdisk to put the
new kernel in effect and make a boot floppy.  Reboot and everything
should work.

Brett