> > I've got a Stealth 3D 4000 also.  Mine's got 4MB RAM, is AGP, and I get
> > noise on 1152x864, 24bpp- not lower.  I believe it has to do with the
> > refresh rates that the card supports.  You might try manually tweaking
> > modelines in /etc/X11/XF86Config.  I mean to do this eventually, but
> > haven't gotten around to it yet.  Other than this, I don't know how
> > to fix it.  I'd suggest learning to live with it, or stick to a lower
> > resolution/color depth.
>
> yup, ive got the same card.  what exactly do you mean by tweaking?  what
> do i tweak?  i intend to figure this out because i really cant stand
> that noise!  if i find that it is unfixable, then i will consider
> getting another card.
> please give me details on what i should change about the modelines.

well, i figured it out.  my monitor has an onscreen menu for making
settings.  it also shows the current hsync and vsync.  i looked at it
while running the noisy x.  i then booted into windows and compared the
values.  they were very different!  so i edited XF86Config and commented
out the modeline that was causing the noise.  i then ran x and there was
less noise than before.  after a few more '#', i finally found a
modeline that boots up perfectly and gives no noise.  my screen looks
better than ever!  even better than it looked in windows!  give this
method a shot and i am sure it will help your problems too.

:P