----- Original Message -----
From: Stephan Rex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 1999 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Linux for home consumers?

> Hi Richard,
> I am a linux newbie, but have been in IT for 5 years no and from that back
> ground I would say Linux is in the stage  "coming of age". I believe it is
> not for the new computer user but is definitely for the average- advanced
> computer  user. Someone with a little computer experience under their
belt.
> With a few more click and pick interfaces, and support for more types of
> devices eg usb and more divervse device support it will become a Windows
> killer.

I whole heartedly agree with this. After all, exactly who is 'the average
joe' ?? More and more people these days, know plenty enough about computers
and OSs to be able to get on with Mandrake.

For starters the percentage of people that use a PC at home and are also IT
professionals has to be pretty high doesn't it ??

> If linux developers got the support from hardware and software
manufactures
> that Microsoft does, Linux would have already beaten Microsoft for the
most
> superior OS.
>
> These are my thoughts only and do not represent anyone else.

[SNIP]

Martin.
PS: I am both a corporate and home Linux user - have been for about three
years now - still use Windows for both also though !!.