On 15 Aug, Will wrote:
> I found the reason for not being able to mount FAT drives, and that is because
> I was apparently using an older version of the kernel. I found loadlin.exe,
> which I was going to use to boot regularly, in the Lnx4win directory with
> vmlinuz (the kernel) and initsomething.gz. well that vmlinuz in Lnx4win
> directory is old, and if I boot using it I get incorrect kernel vers errors
> and can't mount vfat and msdos partitions. I figured out that I can boot with
> the bootdisk I made during installation and not get those errors, but now I
> just gotta figure out how to get the correct vmlinuz like the one on the
> bootdisk into my c:\linux directory.

Well, I would guess that the gzipped file (whatever.gz) is the kernel
image.  You should be able to fix it by just copying your new kernel
image (/boot/bzImage) on top of the old one.  I'm not sure if bzImage
is gzipped or not...
You could do this:
   cp /boot/bzImage ~/name_of_loadlin_kernel.gz
   cp ~/name_of_loadlin_kernel.gz name_of_loadlin_kernel2
   gzip name_of_loadlin_kernel2

Then, copy both of the new files to the directory with loadlin on the
FAT partition.  It would probably be a good idea to back up your old
loadlin kernel first.  Boot to DOS and try loadlin.  If it doesn't work
(i.e. fails to load kernel image) copy the second kernel image (the one
we gzipped ourselves) on top of the first one and try it again.  If it
still doesn't work, consult somebody smarter than me.

-Matt Stegman