On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Sean Armstrong wrote:

> I am using Mandrtake 6.0 with the s.s.9-27 kernel that comes with it.  I
> recompiled the kernel using the following steps:
> xconfig -- checked off only the items needed by my computer.
> make dep
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules install

should have been "make modules_install"
the command you used tells it to make modules then make install.
So cd /usr/src/linux, make modules_install, try it like that
If it still gives you trouble add "alias net-pf-01 off" to
/etc/conf.modules, repeat for any others. Then hunt down any hideing
network utils like ipx-utils and such...

> The last command, make modules install, automatically installed the new
> kernel and system map.  I know this because the old ones were there too.
> Lilo was changed with the /sbin/lilo command.  However, when i rebooted the
> new kernel I got the following error message repeated down the screen:
> can't find module: net-pf-01
>
> My compute is at home and is not hooked up to any network and I thought I
> told it to not load any of the networking daemons.  Any ideas on what may be
> wrong?
> Thanx,
> SA

MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/