On 25 Aug, Alan  Schussman wrote:
> Here's one more general question for folks: Before I did the above, I
> tried a trick I found in the gnome documentation (surprise!) that
> describes completely resetting a user session, right back to new defaults.
> The docs say to hold down CTRL-SHIFT as you log in to gnome, and you'll
> get a dialog box that allows you to reset the session. But, at least on my
> PC, holding down CTRL-SHIFT didn't do anything. Has anybody used that
> option? Is there another way to invoke it?

It probably means to hold down Ctrl-Shift as you log in from gdm, not
startx from console or login from kdm.

To get gdm to run in runlevel 5 instead of gdm, you should just have to
change a symlink:

[root@localhost root]# cd /etc/X11
[root@localhost X11]# ls -l prefdm
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Aug 22 17:24 prefdm -> ../../usr/bin/kdm*
[root@localhost X11]# rm prefdm
[root@localhost X11]# ln -s /usr/bin/gdm prefdm

Now you're done!  The next time you reboot, you'll get gdm (GNOME's
login manager) instead of KDE's!

Of course, since it's fixed now anyway, this is irrellevant to your
problem, but maybe someone else is intested.
--
-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>