On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> Well everything seems to be read only mode can someone give me the right
> syntax to remount hda5 to rw mode?  It doesn't seem like fsck.efs2 found
> anything wrong?
> Jeanette

Your best bet would be to boot from a "rescue" disk (you'll
also need a generic boot disk -- the standard install boot
disk is fine!) boot to the install floppy, type "rescue" at
the prompt and then insert the rescue disk when prompted
(rescue.img in the "images" directory.) When it's done
booting, type "e2fsck /dev/hdxx" (or /dev/sdxx for SCSI
drives.) Just hit "enter" when it comes up and asks you any
questions. I've always found the default answers (typically
"Y") work fine for me the handful of times I've had to run
the program.
One reason the e2fsck program will fail is if you are
trying to run it on a mounted file system. Oh, and you will
NOT need to mount the drive(s) to run e2fsck on it/them.
        John