On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> Tom Bishop wrote:
> >
> > Interseting problem:  two hard drives, hda (primary master) is 10 gig, hdb
> > (primary slave) is 4.3 gig.  Mandrake 6.0 is on hda by its lonesome, Win89 is
> > on 2gig of hdb.  Usually I go into the system BIOS and select none for hda,
> > reboot and install COL 2.2 on the balance of hdb.  I have done the install with
> > and without making a seperate swap partition for COL.  Everything installs fine
> > and all the usual programs work with no problems.  The kernel version displayed
> > on the control-panel startup is 2.2.5, which it should be.  Now, if I shut
> > down, reboot, and reselect hda in the BIOS, lilo shows me the correct menu:
> > linux  dos  col  and they each individually boot correctly.  BUT... now nothing
> > works in COL (ie: kppp, cdrom.floppy) and the kernel version displayed is that
> > of Mandrake...2.2.9-19mdk.  Why does Mandrake contaminate my COL install even
> > if it's on a seperate drive?  I suspect the swap partition?  Is there a way for
> > this to not happen?  More curious than anything.
> > Thanks, Tom
>
> You'll need to install LILO onto /dev/hdb (and probably disable the
> prompting and timeout so it's not annoying).  Then edit your "main"
> /etc/lilo to show something like this:
>
>       boot=/dev/hda1
>       map=/boot/map
>       install=/boot/boot.b
>       image=/boot/vmlinuz
>               label=main-linux
>               root=/dev/hdb3
>               read-only
>       other=/dev/hdb
>               label=other-linux
>
> Then you can make independant changes between the two distributions
> without affecting the other.
> --
> Steve Philp
> Network Administrator
> Advance Packaging Corporation
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Thanks, Steve.......you're awesome!  I will file this info away till my
license expires with VMware, which is soon,then it's back to actual disks.
BTW, I got Win98 to run in a vm with rawdisk, but because it crashes there as
well, I don't like leaving my Mandrake install exposed.  E2fsck always makes me
nervous.  Thanks again, I owe ya!  Tom