Subject: Install success, now for the sound card
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 17:07:59 -0700
From: Ken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

First and foremost, after I got past my partition problems the install went
perfectly. (I had to use Partition Magic) I finally got the monitor set up and
working well. Now I am having some difficulty setting up my sound card. I have
the ESS Solo-1 PCI audio device. It is installed as a chip on the motherboard.
I know this is a poor setup, but I didn't make the decision. Anyway, I went
into Win98 and looked at the configuration and I found out this much
IRQ-5, DMA-1, I/O range 9000-903F, 9050-905F, 9070-907F, 9090-9093, 90A4-90A7.
After that I looked at the supported hardware list on the web site. ESS
688,1688,1868 are all supported cards, although I have the Solo-1 (1938)
I rebooted into Linux and went to the root console where I entered
the setup program(sndconfig). Now, it won't autodetect my card so I tried to
manually configure it. I set it to IRQ5, DMA-1, and got confused when it asked
about I/O range. The list it gives is something like 0X220,0X230,0X240, &0X250.
Other options are available for the 1688 & 1868. I tried multiple
configurations and always got the device or resource busy error message. I
looked again at my Win98 settings and noticed that  three items are listed for
IRQ5 - ESS Solo-1 Soundblaster compatible(WDM), ESS Solo-1 PCI Audiodrive
(WDM), & ACPI IRQ holder for PCI steering. After that I read a couple of
posts about using either OSS or ALSA. I chose alsa because it was free. I
downloaded the files and set them up on my system. Everything seemed to go
fine. I had to edit my conf.modules files because of the particular type of
card I have. Once that was over I typed depmod -a which worked and then
modprobe snd-ess1938.o. Then I typed cat /proc/asound/sndstat. the file listed
my card and implied that everything was ready to go. I tried to test the sound
and it wouldn't work. At this point it was late and I shutdown and went to bed.
Since then, i can't get it to even recognize my card. When I type sndstat it
says that sound support isn't configured in the kernel, but when I boot
Linux it says that it loaded the sound module fine. I am not sure where to
look for answers now so I am posting to the list. Does anyone have any ideas
about what to do with this situation? I could go get another PCI soundcard and
just disable it under windows if that would work. I'm willing to try anything.
Thanks in advance. Ken