I guess one of the things you have not gotten to installing is also a mail
client ... but it is okay ... one thing at a time ...

If the package you got is a RPM package then all u need to do is su to root
and then "rpm -Uvh <packagename>" to install it.

If the package is a source tarball.  The you need to compile it.  The
compilation methods for individual package can obviously vary but the most
common way is to go into the source and do these steps...
1. do "./configure"
2. type make
3. type make test (optional sometimes packages dont have this step)
4.  make install

Note you usually have to be root so that is has permission to install the
program.

I know my instructions are not terribly detailed but you can get back to me
again if the instructions are not enough and we can really break each step
down....

On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 10:00:56PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Im new to linux. Iv figured most of the basic stuff like connecting to
> the internet sound, printer etc. Now that im connected I want to
> download stuff. I downloaded kicq im not quit sure how to go about
> compiling it. I would appreciate you help. I thank you in advance to
> your replies!!
>
> Thank you!
> Jerome
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP Public Key :
http://jackal.dhis.org/jackal.txt
http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/pks-commands.html

ICQ # : 38756924
It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students
that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are
mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.
                -- Edsger W. Dijkstra, SIGPLAN Notices, Volume 17, Number 5