Jeanette Russo wrote:

> The reason I was upset is I just spent a week of intense trying to fix
> Mandrake 5.3 which didn't seem to be that bad and I am not looking forward
> to trying to fix Mandrake 6 which I thought would be ok.  For some reason
> the Mandrake updates is not working.  Not sure what it is supposed to do, is
> it just a web page?  Or does it actually update your system.  I know none of
> this is going to update right, so I am thinking of getting Mandrake 6.1 if I
> can get a copy on a CD since I don't have a CD burner.  I just think sending
> Venus out with such serious problems was bad, but then not to update the
> packages shipped long after the release was really bad.
> Jeanette

Jeanette....yeah, I was somewhat dismayed when I received my GPL disc
from the supplier back in June and it contained the 2.2.9-19 kernel
instead of the 2.2.9-27 kernel, because I knew about the kernel update.
If I hadn't been aware that a newer kernel was the preferred one I
wouldn't have been dismayed, because 6.0 installed and ran just fine on
my system.  Like most folks, 6.0 ran for me well enough to not even need
to bother with updating anything (except sound) right away.  It had
gotten past beta testing, and that's why it got released in that form.
You are just one of the unlucky ones that has a hardware combination
that triggers the problems that require the updates.  Enjoy, not
everyone is flaming (-:

Alan