Hi!

Russ-
I have not experienced this issue in LM5.3

The only way(s) I know of duplicating this problem is
1.A RH6.0 clean install
2.Upgrading LM5.3 with RH6.0

IMHO 2.Upgrading LM5.3 with RH6.0 is problematic as RH6.0 places the upgraded
KDE files in a different location to those of LM5.3.
Furthermore, KPackage appears nowhere to be found as I recall Gnome will be your
Desktop
by default and GnomeRPM your RPM upgrade utility.
Reinstalling KPackage from LM5.3 or any other distro for that matter proves
ineffectual.
Moreover, you will have to

chmod on your cdrom [SUID] = checked

IMHO LM5.3 is by far a smoother ride than RH6.0, If you want to taste Gnome
simply download it and Enlightentenment at

http//www.gnome.org
it's really elegant.

Regarding the modem issue have you tried ,as root => ttsyS0 [COM 1] I believe.

Correction
SUID = "Set User ID" [Thanks Steve P]

Running Linux - O'Rielly Publishing by Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman 2nd Edition
This book is now in it's 3rd Edition and it is by far the best publication I have
found to date on the OS,
an excellent reference I use all the time.

a domani!
Stephen
From: "Westbrook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Re: [newbie] Questions about dual booting - dialing