On Thu 27 Jun 2002 04:00, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 June 2002 03:18 am, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> > On Wed 26 Jun 2002 04:29, John Rigby wrote:
> > > The main problem is not your Linux setup or anything else, it is the
> > > not-allowed-to-be-discussed-sanely, Cybernazi  anti-spammers.
> > > These idiots ( a careful use of the word) can interrupt the flow of
> > > messages from you, or anyone to anyone or anywhere else that just
> > > happens to route through their Servers.
> > > Thus, the spasmodic, but ever-growing problem we all now face from
> > > these *uncontrolled* incompetents.
> > >

> > > They are dictating what reaches this list or any other and we
> > > individuals.
> > >

> > > A curse on all their livestock!
> > >

> > > Cheers,
> > > I-told-you-so-years-ago-rigby
> >
> > Not only anti-spam!
> >
> > Over here the mail servers are getting bogged down due to the
> > 'yaha-virus' catching on to the 90% majority.
> >
> > So as a new rule everyone sending more than 10 infected e-mails gets
> > blocked off the smtp servers until they're clean again.
> > That's called fighting the symptoms not the cause.:o)
> >
> > Good hunting,
> >
> > Harm.
>
> Harm:
> I've got no beef with telling someone that they can't propagate any more
> Microsoft worms/virii until they get their act together. I wish more ISP's
> would take that approach. Perhaps it's not attacking the root cause (the
> whole damn windows system), but at least it's going after the
> co-conspirators. After going through three or four of these episodes, some
> of them might start thinking that there might be a better way of doing
> things. -- cmg

Agreed on all points:o)

Only thing disturbs me though, is that they offer these people antivirus
software (at a very modest price) but don't give a crash-course how to
prevent it all.

I mean half (if not more) of the hurt would go away if they told these people
to turn off html and/or stop using Outlook. Instead they propagate
fud-software ( the antivirus stuff) giving these same people a sense of
security until the next mass attack.

So, nothing changes except that those folks hate 'hackers' (that's what they
call the 'script kiddies') all the more for making them feel insecure.
To them it's not the OS but the bad guys out there, who are the real threat
and .NET or palladium will be seen as a small price to keep them out.

Hell, if there hadn't already been any viri out there, M$ would probably have
invented them to stay in bussines.

Good luck,

Harm.