Steve Mendizabal wrote:

>Hello listers, just joined, just installed and hopefully won't get too many
>RTFM responses:
>
>On init these show as failed and its taking a long time to boot up. 1-2 min
>eth0 & eth1
>Now I believe these to be my ethernet cards. Any reason why they would be
>failing? Also I cant get my DSL to work either. I know the 2 are related but
>where to start to find the answer?
>
>Mandrake 8.2 DL version
>10G partition
>1Gig swap
>Dell 8200
>128MB ram
>
>ethernet cards:
>Kingston EtherRx KNE111TX PCI Fast Ethernet
>CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet
>(is there anyway to know which is which IE; eth0, eth1?)
>

>1 partridge
>1 peartree
>

>Steve Mendizabal
>Multimedia Engineer

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Yep, you can find out by looking in several different places

1.  /etc/modules.conf

specific alias instructions will be here to assign drivers to eth0 and eth1

2.  linuxconf=>networking=>host name and IP network devices=> Adaptor 1
will be eth0 and Adaptor 2 will be eth1

Now to get them working, _very patiently_ try Mandrake Control Center.
 => Network and Internet.

eth1 should be the one connected to your internet connection
eth0 should be connected to your local network

The reason for that is that Internet connection sharing is set up that
way, with eth0 at 192.168.0.1 offering dhcp and forwarding nameservice
to the rest of the local network.  So if ever you plan to use the
Mandrake box as the gateway and just want to use the wizard rather than
doing the iptables setup yourself, then you will be ready to do so.

Now the internet connection and network setup should work OK, but keep
in mind that they are two different setups, and the tool sets one up as
the internet access method.  Two nameservers are allocated for internet
and one for local net.  More than three can cause problems.

Now as to why they are not working now--there could be several reasons

1. ACPI enabled in the BIOS could have placed all the cards in your
system on the same interrupt.

2.  The KNE111TX uses the tulip driver so if you see de4x5 in the alias
on modules.conf, change it to tulip.

3.  The CNET Pro200WL has zero documentation as to the chipset it uses
both on the CNETusa and CNET.tw sites and from Dell.  Most likely the
tech info from Dell would be the only one applicable as it is likely an
OEM version of the card specifically made for Dell.  I do see articles
about difficulty getting the CNet to run with Win2K.

Try removing the CNET from your system and detecting only the other
ethernet card.  If this works, then it is interference or a bad
detection which cannot be corrected because no technical information on
the chipset in use is available.

Possibly I could analyze the problem if you could post the output of

lspci -vvv

Civileme