----- Original Message -----
From: "Pippin Barr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 5:39 AM
Subject: [newbie] Strange crashes when idle

> Hi all,
>
> I don't know if I consider myself a newbie, having run linux of some sort
> for about three years, but I don't consider myself an expert, so here I
> am.
>
> My problem is unfortunately hard to describe, and what I'm really looking
> for is ideas for establishing what the problem might be.
>
> Basically, I installed Mandrake 8.2 a few days ago, and it's crashed once
> or twice a day since then. I was tolerating it, until this morning's crash
> when my root partition was damaged. Now I want to get to the bottom of it.
>
> When it's crashed I can see that my CPU meter is suggest a very high CPU
> load (around 4 lines high on a standard xload meter). Various things lock
> up, generally my web browser. I'm suspicious of mozilla/galeon at present,
> but don't really know for sure.
>
> Eventually the whole thing dies, and I can ctrl-alt-F1 etc to get to a
> shell, but if I run anything (like pine) the whole thing stops, and
> eventually I can't do anything (like login from another prompt). At that
> point I have to reset my computer...
>
> As I said, this morning the disk was damaged by this, and I had to
> manually run fsck to fix it up. Annoying.
>
> Anyone experience similar weird problems?
>
> I'm going to try not running any mozilla based browsers for a while, to
> see if that helps at all. I'll let you know if it does.
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer me!
>
> Pippin Barr

Hi Pippin Barr,

I'm Having a very similar problem here also.. but haven't yet been able to
figure out what exactly is causing the problem.  I've tried several
suggestions ( differen video board/ settings) Mouse settings etc. all to no
avail.. My Machine Crashes almost always while trying to download web pages
or mail.  does not seem to matter what Brower or email client I'm using.. It
Crashes with mozzila , opera, konquerer equally as well.  Please if you
should find out the cure post it to the group so others that may be having
the same problems can benifit.

Also it may help to list your machines equipment parameters so others can
see if it's the same chipset video or something else smimilar.

My Machine is has a SIS 730s Chip set AmD Athlon 950Mhz Proc. 512 MB Ram
with 32 MB share with video Card.

someone help us..

have a nice day
Dave