are you running out of swap? disk space? (when I run out of space in /home,
often the first place I notice is hitting a menu item in a browser) do you
have an append statement in /etc/lilo.conf that says mem=465? (or some number
that subtracts the  "shared video memory" amount from total system ram ie.;
512 - 32 = 470 and I add a couple a megs to be sure it really had 512 to
start)