July 8, 2002 10:01 am, Sevatio wrote:
> What's your opinion of IBM Hard Drives?  I was going to continue buying
> them since IBM is a supporter of Linux.  However, some of the customer
> feedbacks I've been reading makes me apprehensive about touching these.
I've installed quite a few (more than 30) for people and have only had to
replace one that died. IBM replaced the dead 20 GB with a 40 GB since the
local distributors had no smaller drives in stock at the time.

A different scenario with a 30 GB belonging to a friend of mine in a new A21
IBM desktop she bought in February this year. Her drive[s] crapped out three
times in four months during the latter part of the"don't run the drives 24/7"
era and I thought she'd have trouble, but IBM kept replacing them until
things stopped breaking. The service techs kept apologising and replacing
drives. IBM extended her warranty on the entire system. She's happy now.

IBM sold that division to Hitachi recently.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/invest/2002/04/17/ibm-hitachi.htm
--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada