Myers, Dennis R NWO wrote:

> Can someone give me some info?
> Wondering what other webpage creating software there is for linux
> other than
> cgi?  Thanks much

> The best is Quanta+ found in your 8.x CDs or Screem or for a fee
> CoffeeCup. I like Quanta best. Used it to get my web pages all W3C
> compliant. HTH

I've always found Quanta a bit crash-prone.  Bluefish is nice and
straightforward.
If you don't know HTML, Mozilla Composer (or Netscape Composer versions
6.0 upwards) is nice and simple, though it doesn't support CSS yet (will
do soon, probably).  OpenOffice also has a pretty decent web page writer
if you like something that behaves like a word processor but still
produces acceptable (if not exactly elegant) HTML.

LyX, aside from its main use as a front-end to LaTeX (which produces
very nice printed documents) can also output HTML by using various
LaTeX->HTML converters.  I use it with latex2html for long documents, as
it splits them up nicely, provides navigation buttons and automatically
generates a stylesheet which I can then tweak.  It's not as elegant as
crafting your own HTML (which is why I normally use Bluefish), but it's
a good quick fix if you're used to using it for document production
anyway (and I can thoroughly recommend for that, especially if you're
doing academic/scientific writing).  See
http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/~fast/mozilla for an example (OK, I know it's
ironic to be producing a guide to Mozilla with LyX, but hey, I said it
was a good quick fix!).

It's also worth downloading Tidy from www.w3.org - you can run any pages
you produce through this to clean up any bad HTML.

Sir Robin (hoping he is now back in 2002)

--
"We're clouds over the sea, or flecks of matter
in the ocean when the ocean seems lit from within.

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Üniversitesi
Ankara 06533