Anne Wilson wrote:

>During the evening my machine has got slower and slower, and now it takes
>almost a minute to open any application.  I have logged out, and even halted,
>but it persists.
>
>During the bootup messages I briefly saw something to the effect that a
>compressed image had been found and was being uncompressed.  Is this
>significant?
>
>How, using Process Management, can I identify the process(es) causing my
>problem, so that I can hang up?
>
>Anne

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Why does this stuff never happen to me?

It is very very hard to guide someone when You've never seen the situation.

OK, next time it happens

ps aux > myfile
tail -n 40 /var/log/messages >> myfile

then C&P myfile to your email.

The only daemon I am aware of that could cause this is jabberd which
seems to have a severe memory leak, so if you are using any instant
messenger based on jabberd, it  will eat so much of your memory that
swap will be used whenever you try to open a new app, which causes a
tremendous slowdown.

The solution if that is the problem is simple

urpme jabberd

which will rip out jabber and everything that uses it.

Civileme