On Sunday 21 July 2002 05:58 pm, you wrote:
> Dennis,
>
> After you reinstalled Mandrake (I'm assuming 8.2), did you update the CD
> burning software you are using.  If I recall, most were broken out of the
> box and had to be patched or updated.
>
> One other thing on your compact flash (although this poster was asking
> about smart media readers).  I know that on my smart media card, I had to
> have the camera format the media first and I wasn't sure what it formatted
> it to.  I'm wondering if your reader is working, but the format isn't being
> recognized.  In your fstab, if you are using vfat, try using msdos or
> umsdos. I had to use one of them with an earlier version of Linux.  If you
> dual boot, you can check the properties under windows and see if it
> indicates what file system it is using (mine actually says something like
> DOS, not FAT, which led me to try mounting it as msdos)
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Joe
>

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:21:15 -0500
>
> Dennis Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sunday 21 July 2002 05:12 pm, you wrote:
> > > Although it makes no claim to Linux compatibility, I am having very
> > > good results with the PNY SmartMedia reader (this is not the combined
> > > compact flash AND SM reader).  It is a simple black blob of plastic
> > > with a slot for the media and a usb cable on the back.  No lights, or
> > > leds or anything else.  I paid $19.99US for mine at Staples.  It worked
> > > out of the box with Mandrake 8.2 after creating a folder called smedia
> > > (or whatever you want) under /mnt and adding "/dev/sda1 /mnt/smedia
> > > vfat noauto,user" (without quotes) to /etc/fstab.
> > >
> > > Joe

> > I have a PNY compact flash reader connected to usb, and it comes up at
> > install as being loaded as usb-storage. I have  looked for a connection
> > point and it is not shown by harddrake and no scsi device indicated.
> > Can't read it, so as with anything under linux, YMMV. Sometimes they work
> > and sometimes they don't. (like I can't get my CDRW to make a readable
> > disk now, it was fine before this last reinstall which I did cause I
> > could not cleanly get rid of KDE3, which was messing up my system even
> > though installed in accordance with all FAQs and tutorials I could find.
> > So, PNY works for some folks and others can't get anything but the little
> > light on the device to come on. Good luck --
> > Dennis M. linux user #180842
Thanks for the reply, but I have upgraded all packages available which in the
past has resolved the cdrw problem, and no go.  The problem with the compact
flash reader is that I  can not find it recognized as any device anywhere.
Does not show up under /dev/usb,  /scsi , /sda ,  or anything else.  It shows
up under usbview as shown below, I just don't know how to access it. It is
formatted as fat  and works ok with the drivers supplied for windows 98 on a
M$ machine.

usb-storage
Speed: 12Mb/s (full)
USB Version:  1.10