From: Tony S. Sykes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 10:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [newbie] Apache permission trouble

Matthew,

Have you set-up .htaccess file?

Tony
-----Original Message-----
From: Sabin, Matthew [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 8:03 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [newbie] Apache permission trouble

I'm running 8.2 with default Apache install on 586.
I'm trying to run the test-cgi script in /var/www/cgi-bin.
My browser tells me Forbidden, you don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/test-cgi on this server.
Apache's error_log tells me: client (128.251.145.196) denied by server configuration: /var/www/cgi-bin/test-cgi.
I've checked the entire path, and user apache can read and execute everything in the path up to and including the script, and owns /var/www and all sub directories as well as all scripts.

User apache can execute the script from the /var/www/cgi-bin directory just fine.
I've adjusted commonhttpd.conf to allow access to / from my ip space (128.251.0.0).
I've adjusted the directory/ settings to +ExecCGI and to allow from any, and I've added SetHandler cgi-script
Apache still seems to think that it shouldn't allow access to the scripts.
What next?