Hi,

You may use the find command. find allows you to go through a directory
tree and perform some tests and actions on it. For example, in your case
you want something like

  find / -path /mnt -prune -o -type f -exec grep "my exp" {} \;

Here, the / means start in /, the '-path /mnt -prune' means if the path
is of the form /mnt, don't go into it, the '-o' is a logical or, '-type f'
means only regular files, and the -exec says what command to execute
(the '{}' is replaced by the file name). find has many other option, all
of which you can read about in man find. Note in particular the -mount
option, which might be a simpler way to do what you want

HTH
Moshe

* Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [020724 20:59]: