Warren Post wrote:

>Greetings from the world capital of brownouts, blackouts, spikes, and
>thunderstorms. Here's what I recommend, in order:
>
>FOR FILESYSTEM PROTECTION...
>
>1. Use a journaling file system like XFS. This, alone, would probably
>have avoided your problems.
>
>FOR HARDWARE PROTECTION...
>
>2. Make sure your power outlets are properly grounded. If you do nothing
>else, do this. Most of the following measures depend upon proper
>grounding.
>
>3. Use good quality power supplies. Most PCs today come with junk, but a
>good name brand supply (PC Power & Cooling make good units) will provide
>quite a bit of spike, brownout, and surge protection even without
>separate line conditioning equipment.
>
>4. Decent power protection equipment will indeed cost you the proverbial
>arm and a leg. The cheap stuff is junk that is not worth buying. Before
>you buy, consider the specific power problems you face:
>
>* If power outages (even momentary ones) are common, you need a UPS. If
>they are rare, then using a journaling file system should be enough
>protection.
>
>* If lightning strikes or other massive surges are common, have a
>qualified electrician check your building's wiring with an eye to
>lightning dissipation. Consider a surge protector from a reputable
>company like Tripp Lite only if fried computers are common in your
>neighborhood after a thunderstorm.
>
>* If line interference or voltage fluctuations is causing problems, have
>an electrician check your building's wiring and major appliances. Most
>problems can be corrected without the need for line conditioners.
>
>After having said the above, what do I do? I use XFS, my outlets are
>grounded, and I have a combo UPS/line conditioner. But that's overkill
>for most localities. For the average installation, a good power supply
>connected to a well grounded outlet should do if you're running XFS.
>
>Warren
>Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras
>
>El lun, 29-07-2002 a las 14:17, John Richard Smith escribió:
>

>>This may sound a simple question but what if anything can computer
>>owners do, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg , to protect their
>>equipement from bad weather.
>>
>>Here in Milton Keynes, England we have just had the mother and father of
>>a thunder storm, which caused a momentary cut in power, and naturally
>>crashed all the running computers.
>>Some rebooted OK , that is after lengthy file system checks, but one
>>refused even after this, it got as far as "loading USB interface (USB
>>ohci)" , and hung.
>>
>>I'm back in , but not after some nifty failsafe rebooting.

Thanks for that reply
I am still not familiar with the term --

combo UPS/line conditioner

What is this precisely, I guess since we don't normally experience such
thunderstorms very often , here in the uk, we are less familiar with
this requirement.

Here in the uk we have stable good quality electricity supplies.Our
national grid never blips at all. But no national grid can cope with
massive thunder storms.

In the news today , it was reported that 15 houses were struck with
lightening
and set on fire which required every fire appliance for 50 miles around
to deal with them. All available emergency services were out on call
dealing with fires and injuries.It really did catch everyone out.
However it's not normally a regular occurance , of course we get regular
thunder and lightening but not like last night.

John