Thanks very much!  I spent some time viewing /var/log/syslog, and that
was helpful.

I can't find anything else that is starting imapd (in rc.d, or
elsewhere), yet because of the ready line when I telnet to port 143, I
believe it is starting.

In /var/log/syslog I found that my problem is usually "Missing command
before authentication host[192.168.0.8]".  I tried looking for this on
Google, and the indication is that I've got a bad client or am being
attacked.  Since I'm on a LAN behind a NAT, I don't think I'm being
attacked (I might be, but I doubt it -- GRC or whoever always says all
my ports are "stealthed").

So, I suspect that I don't know how to initiate a dialog with imap via
telnet -- I suspect that this command: "A001 user <username>
<password>", which I got from Linux Red Hat 6 Unleashed, is not valid.

Can somebody tell me how to initiate a dialog with imap via telnet?

Randy Kramer